To make disciples for Jesus Christ and magnify the Lord's name and bring sinners and non-believers to Jesus and baptizing them into his family, develop them to be Christ like, and equip them for their ministry in the church and life mission in the world. To strengthen our link with the community by filling much needed voids, to improve the quality of life for all.
Transform the world through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ for his glory
- The Holy Bible is inspired by God and without error in the original manuscripts, and having supreme authority in all matters of faith and life.
- There is one living and true God, eternally existing in three persons: God the Father the son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. We believe Jesus Christ, God's only begotten Son, was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of a virgin, and is the second person in the trinity. The Holy Spirit is third person in the trinity.
- That Jesus Christ is Lord and head of the church.
- The Lord Jesus Christ has instituted two ordinances for the obedient observance by the water baptism and the Lord's Supper. Christian Baptism is the immersion of a believer into water in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Baptism is not to be regarded as a means of salvation. The second is the elements of communion, or the Lord's Supper, symbolizes Christ's broken body and shed blood sacrificed on our behalf to deliver us from sin and death.
- That in order to be saved, sinners must be born again by the spirit of God, that the new birth makes one a partaker of the divine nature and eternal life, the gift of God.
- Every believer should be in a growing relationship with Jesus Christ our Lord by obeying God's word, yielding to the Holy Spirit and by being conformed to the image of Christ.
- That Jesus Christ lived a sinless life on earth and voluntarily paid for sins by dying on the cross as our substitute. This accomplished salvation for all who receive grace by trusting Him alone. He rose from the dead and is coming again.
- All believers in Christ will enjoy eternal life with God forever.
It was the best of times; it was the worst of times, but it was also the acceptable time for God's plan for this community to begin to take shape. A group of dedicated and faithful Christians living together in this area constituted enough people to establish a place of worship. A century ago (100 years), God gave a vision to Reverend R.B. Hunter. A small log cabin structure became the center point of worship. In 1909, Freemont Missionary Baptist Church was established. It was the focal point of all Baptist worshippers in the surrounding area. Even though the community of Longs was named after Willie Long, it was these faithful members who gave the backwoods of Longs community its name, FREEMONT.
Over the years, the physical structure of the original small church deteriorated. Many of the members found themselves traveling to worship at a little church which was located in an area that is known today as Buck Creek. The other worshippers made their way to Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church, which was the only other church in the area. These two denominations worshipped together; therefore, Saint John became known as Freemont's twin sister.
In the 1930's Freemont built a straight wooden church, but later an addition was added. A bell was also added in the steeple. This bell served multiple purposes. It was the community's telephone. When regular church services were held or good news in the community, the bell tone was cheerful, but a slow, sad, solemn death ring was sounded to alert the community of a death. As time pass and the congregation grew larger, the structure became weaker. There was a need for a more sturdy larger structure, so in 1950, a concrete block church was built. It was later bricked. Traditions from the old church were continued in the new building.
Several churches have been established with people who had roots in Freemont. Myrtle hill Baptist church was the first to originate from Freemont. In 1953, Reverend Amos Bellamy helped to establish Myrtle Hill in the Sand Ridge area of Longs. A few years ago, history repeated itself. A vision was presented by God through the late Reverend Jimmy Vereen that a new structure was needed to house worshippers who came to Sunday Services. Preparations and plans were set forth by the deacons and trustees in 2003. A year later the foundation was laid. Once the foundation was in place, the building began to take shape. Our first Sunday service was held in April 2005.
God has blessed our community with many great men. They were men who stood tall and provided great leadership for our church and our community.